When it comes to booking a hotel room, one of the most important decisions to make is which floor to stay on. While some guests prefer to stay on lower floors for easy access, others prefer the views and quietness of higher floors. But what exactly is the top floor of a hotel called? Let’s find out.
The Terminology of Hotel Floors
Before we get into the specifics of the top floor, it’s important to understand the terminology of hotel floors. Most hotels have a ground floor or lobby level, followed by a series of numbered floors. The floor immediately above the ground floor is typically referred to as the second floor, followed by the third floor, and so on.
However, some hotels use different terminology. For example, European hotels often use the term “first floor” to refer to what Americans would call the second floor. Similarly, some hotels skip the unlucky number 13 and go straight from the 12th floor to the 14th floor.
What is the Top Floor of a Hotel Called?
The top floor of a hotel is typically called the “penthouse” or “rooftop” floor. These floors often feature luxurious amenities, such as private balconies, Jacuzzis, and expansive views of the surrounding area. Some hotels reserve the top floor for VIP guests, such as celebrities or high-profile executives.
However, not all hotels have penthouses or rooftop floors. In some cases, the highest floor of the hotel is simply referred to as the “top floor” or the “upper level.”
Pros and Cons of Staying on the Top Floor
- Great Views: One of the biggest advantages of staying on the top floor is the views. Guests can enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding area, including city skylines, mountains, and bodies of water.
- Privacy: Staying on the top floor can provide a sense of privacy, as there are typically fewer guests on these floors. Guests can enjoy a quieter, more intimate experience.
- Exclusive Amenities: Penthouse or rooftop floors often feature exclusive amenities, such as private balconies, hot tubs, and lounge areas.
- Higher Prices: As with any luxury experience, staying on the top floor can come with a higher price tag. Guests can expect to pay more for the added amenities and exclusivity of the penthouse or rooftop floor.
- Longer Wait Times: Elevators can be slower on the top floor, as there are typically fewer elevators servicing these floors. This can result in longer wait times for guests.
- Noise: While the top floor can provide a sense of privacy, it can also be noisy. Guests may hear rooftop equipment, such as air conditioning units, or noise from nearby buildings.
So, what is the top floor of a hotel called? It’s typically referred to as the penthouse or rooftop floor, and it often features luxurious amenities and expansive views. While staying on the top floor can come with a higher price tag and longer wait times for elevators, it can also provide a sense of privacy and exclusive amenities. Ultimately, the decision of which floor to stay on comes down to personal preference and budget.
People Also Asked
1. What is the highest floor in a hotel?
The highest floor in a hotel is typically called the penthouse or the top floor. This floor is usually reserved for VIP guests or for those who are willing to pay a premium for a luxurious experience.
- The top floor is usually the most expensive floor in a hotel
- It offers stunning views of the surrounding area
- Guests on the top floor often have access to exclusive amenities
2. What amenities can I expect to find in a hotel room?
Most hotels offer a range of amenities to make your stay more comfortable. Some of the most common amenities include:
- Free Wi-Fi
- Cable TV
- Coffee maker
- Iron and ironing board
However, some hotels offer more luxurious amenities such as:
- Spa services
- Balconies with stunning views
- Kitchenettes or full kitchens
- Private pools or hot tubs
- Tennis courts or gyms
3. Are there hotels that allow smoking?
While smoking is becoming less common in hotels, there are still some hotels that allow smoking in designated areas. However, most hotels have implemented non-smoking policies in order to provide a healthier environment for their guests. Some hotels may offer smoking rooms or floors, but these are becoming increasingly rare.
- Most hotels have non-smoking policies
- Some hotels may offer designated smoking areas
- Smoking rooms or floors are becoming less common
4. Can I bring my pet to a hotel?
Many hotels are pet-friendly and allow guests to bring their furry friends along for the stay. However, it’s important to check with the hotel beforehand to ensure that they allow pets and to find out about any restrictions or fees that may apply.
- Many hotels are pet-friendly
- Check with the hotel beforehand to ensure they allow pets
- There may be restrictions or fees for bringing a pet
5. What are some affordable hotel chains?
If you’re looking for an affordable hotel chain, there are several options to choose from. Some of the most popular affordable hotel chains include:
- Best Western Hotels
- Red Roof Inn
- Motel 6
- Super 8
- Days Inn
While these hotels may not offer the same level of luxury as higher-end chains like Marriott, Hilton, InterContinental, or Hyatt Hotels, they can be a great option for budget-conscious travelers.
- Best Western Hotels, Red Roof Inn, Motel 6, Super 8, and Days Inn are all affordable hotel chains
- These hotels may not offer the same level of luxury as higher-end chains
- They can be a great option for budget-conscious travelers