How to Make Tarta de Limón with Short Dough Crust, Toasted Meringue, Raspberry Coulis, and Graham Cracker Crumble
From the pastry pros at Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
From the Kitchen of:
Douglas Orr, Executive Pastry Chef; and Sean Newhouse, Assistant Pastry Chef
Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Executive Pastry Chef Douglas Orr and Assistant Pastry Chef Sean Newhouse know how to maximize their 3,400-square-foot bakeshop kitchen at Amway Grand Plaza Hotel in Grand Rapids, for ultimate productivity. On a busy day, the bake shop turns out thousands of products, from fresh-baked rolls and breads, to elegant individually portioned desserts for the hotel’s restaurants and events. One of those indulgent items is this Tarta de Limón, a top seller at Amway Grand’s AAA Four-Diamond Cygnus27 restaurant.
Tarta de Limón with Short Dough Crust, Toasted Meringue, Raspberry Coulis, and Graham Cracker Crumble
360 grams sugar
256 grams lemon juice
320 grams whole eggs
1/2 tbsp lemon zest
350 grams butter
8 grams gelatin
1. Bloom gelatin in cold water.
2. Mix sugar, lemon juice, whole eggs, and lemon zest together.
3. Cook over water bath to 80-82 °C continually whisking.
4. Strain mixture through small-hole China cap.
5. Add bloomed gelatin (no water), then butter, and stir.
6. Finish by burr-mixing to create an emulsion.
7. Pipe into 20 3 oz. molds and freeze.
453 grams unsalted butter
226 grams powdered sugar
96 grams whole eggs
679 grams bread flour
1. Cream butter until soft.
2. Add powdered sugar and cream until light.
3. Add eggs in stages, scraping as needed.
4. Add flour, scrape.
5. Mix until incorporated.
6. Sheet out to 3 mm, dock, cut coins, and bake at 350ºF for 10 minutes.
Graham Cracker Crumble
129 grams melted butter
206 grams graham cracker crumb
77 grams whole wheat flour
129 grams brown sugar
12 grams molasses
6 grams baking soda
1 grams table salt
1. Melt butter and add brown sugar and molasses.
2. Mix all ingredients.
3. Press and crumble with hands.
4. Bake at 350ºF for 8 minutes or until done.
Unmold crémeux onto baked short dough and finish with gold mirror glaze and one piece of gold leaf. Pipe French meringue on plate with a rose tip and torch. Place lemon crémeux tart next to meringue and finish with graham cracker crumble, raspberry coulis, and fresh raspberries.