Recipe: Seared Salmon with Orzo Pasta, Peppadew Relish, and Cucumber Yogurt
From the kitchen of Chef Antonio Votta, Locale Kitchen + Lounge, Viejas Casino & Resort, Alpine, California
Chef Antonio Votta oversees the seasonal, California-sourced comfort food creations at Locale Kitchen + Lounge at Viejas Casino & Resort near San Diego. Much of his menu is inspired by his travels and family memories, including this salmon dish, which is among the top sellers at Locale. “I grew up eating a Mediterranean spin on this dish,” says Votta. “My mom made it with basmati rice, cucumber yogurt, dill, and we’d eat it with whitefish instead of salmon, but the version at Locale retains the same core flavors I loved.”
- 3 tbsp cucumber yogurt (recipe follows)
- 1 each salmon filet, skin on (5 oz. to 6 oz.)
- ½ each lemon
- ¾ cup orzo pasta, cooked
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp English cucumber, diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp garbanzo beans, cooked and fried
- 1 each breakfast radish, shaved thin
- 1 tbsp Calabrian-peppadew relish (recipe follows)
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tsp za’atar
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chiffonade
- Salt to taste
- 1/8 each small red onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup Calabrian peppers, minced, de-seeded
¼ cup peppadew peppers, minced
1 tbsp Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp garlic, minced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
Salt – to taste
1) Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and season with salt. 2) Keep the relish at room temperature when cooking the salmon.
1 cup Greek yogurt, whole fat, plain, strained of any excess liquid
¼ each garlic, finely grated
2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
½ each English cucumber, peeled, de-seeded, finely grated
¼ each lemon, zested
¼ each lemon juice, fresh squeezed
Salt – to taste
1) Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and season with salt. 2) Keep refrigerated until use.
1) Place the grapeseed oil into a sauté pan and bring to a smoke.
2) While the pan is heating, season the salmon with grapeseed oil, salt and pepper, and place the salmon skin-side-down into a pre-heated pan.
3) Once the fish is in the pan, turn the heat down to medium-low and cook until the skin releases and it’s crispy; flip the salmon over and cook to desired doneness.
4) While the salmon is cooking, mix together the orzo, cucumber, red onion, mint, dill, red wine vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil and season with salt.
5) Put a spoonful of the cucumber yogurt and a spread of orzo salad on top.
6) Spread the Calabrian-peppadew relish on the salmon skin and place the salmon on the bed of orzo pasta.
7) Garnish the dish with shaved radishes, fried garbanzo beans, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, and za’atar spice.